Saturday, February 19, 2011

Beef Tenderloin by Tanna Hannold

I found this recipe out of a cookbook called the One-Armed Cook. This is one of my families favorite recipes but I only make it for special occasions because the beef tenderloin can be a bit expensive and it makes a lot. The recipe calls for 'dark sesame oil' but I only can find toasted sesame oil. This works very well and smells delicious!

2 cups soy sauce
2/3 cup dark sesame oil or toasted sesame oil
1/4 cup bottled chopped garlic
1 tablespoon ground Ginger
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup red wine
1 (3 1/2 to 5 pound) beef tenderloin, trimmed by butcher


1. In a 2 1/2 gallon resealable plastic bag, combine all the ingredients except for the beef, shaking well to mix.


2. Add the tenderloin; turn to coat with marinade. Refrigerate overnight, turning the bag occasionally.


3. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 425. Snip corner of the bag with scissors and drain marinade into a small saucepan; set aside. Place the tenderloin in a large baking pan.


4. Bake the tenderloin for 20-30 min. until it reaches an internal temperature of 140 degrees on a meat thermometer for rare. I usually cook mine longer because I like mine medium. Remove meat to a serving platter and let it rest for 15 min before carving to allow the juices to be reabsorbed by the meat.


5. Bring marinade to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 min. Serve with the beef.


Please note:
Try not to cut into the meat while cooking or to check how done it is. If you do this and place it back in the oven it will dry out the meat. Secondly, during the 15 minutes rest time the meat will continue to cook. I have found that my center is more medium-rare and the ends get more done as you move toward the end pieces. Enjoy!


Tanna Hannold

No comments:

Post a Comment