Wednesday, April 27, 2011

No Guilt Breakfast Casserole by Jennifer McMurry

I used to love when my mom made breakfast for dinner...I thought it was so much fun!

Here is a recipe for a "light" version of a breakfast casserole that you can enjoy without feeling guilty.
I found it in a Taste of Home Diet cookbook.


2 (4 oz) tubes of buttermilk biscuits
3 (8 oz) cartons of Egg Beater's
7 oz. of chopped Canadian bacon
1 cup of shredded red. fat mozzarella cheese
1 cup of shredded red. fat cheddar cheese
1/2 cup of chopped fresh mushrooms (optional)
1/2 cup finely chopped onion (optional)
1/4 tsp. of pepper
1/2 tsp. of salt


Arrange the biscuits in a 13 by 9 baking dish coated with Pam spray. In a bowl, combine remaining ingredients and pour over biscuits. Bake, uncovered at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

Makes 12 servings. 1 biscuit section is 160 calories and 5 grams of fat...so go ahead and have 2! :)



A few more tips on the light casserole and one more recipe for the "real deal" breakfast casserole that you can make the night before. (Not low-fat)

* I lay out 12 small buttermilk biscuits in the pan using 2 small buttermilk biscuit tubes....I never can find the 4 oz. ones?
* I buy the large eggbeater's and just pour in 24 ounces.


Here is a breakfast casserole that I have made for years and get tons of recipe requests on!
It is yummy and easy and a little different because it uses cheese and garlic croutons instead of cubed white bread. I modified it from an allrecipes website and I have used it ever since!
Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole (make night before)


• 1 pound cooked ham (diced)
• 2 packages of seasoned croutons (cheese and garlic)
• 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
• 2 cups of shredded cheddar/jack mixed blend cheese
• 8 eggs
• 1 pint half-and-half cream
• 1 1/2 cups milk
• 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
• 1 tablespoon minced onion
• salt and pepper to taste


1. In a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish, arrange the croutons in a single layer. Layer with the cheese. Top with the cooked diced ham.
2. In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, half-and-half, milk, mustard, onion, salt, and pepper. Pour into the dish over the ham. Cover, and refrigerate overnight.
3. The next morning, bake in an oven preheated to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 to 60 minutes. Let sit for 20 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment